Friday, October 10, 2014

What do you know about Jonah?

Good Morning, I hope you all have a wonderful day!!

As I mentioned in my last post, my class is studying Jonah through the month of October so that we are prepared for our area wide bible bowl. I always find it interesting to actually read through the whole book when you first start a lesson plan. Jonah was no exception.


Before I read through the book I asked my kids what they knew about the prophet Jonah. All they could tell me was that he had disobeyed God and was swallowed by a big fish. Really??? Of course all of this is true, but what about the rest of it?


So often when we are teaching our children we choose to go to picture books or child learners to teach about God's word, but in doing so we are leaving out many important parts of the Bible. The Bible is the inspired word of God, all of it should be taught, not just the parts that we think will be pleasing to our children.


Jonah was a man that feared God. His pride and fear led him to believe he could run from God rather than do as he was bid. Why was he afraid? Jonah was a Hebrew and was asked to go to Nineveh to preach repentance to a city he considered his enemies. God wanted him to go and ask the people of Nineveh to turn from their wicked ways or they would be destroyed. Now, Jonah feared God, but he also feared the people of Nineveh, he feared that if he went and preached about repentance God would decide not to destroy the great city of Ninevah and then where would he be? So he ran from God and away from Ninevah.


I have included the link to a few worksheets that will help you teach about Jonah and his fear of God. All worksheets were made at puzzlefast.com and come with an answer sheet.


http://www.puzzlefast.com/en/puzzles/20141008798840


http://www.puzzlefast.com/en/puzzles/20141008846569


http://www.puzzlefast.com/en/puzzles/20141008940413


http://www.puzzlefast.com/en/puzzles/20141008758482


Thank you for joining me today, I hope that you will follow along as I tell more of Jonah's story. I look forward to any questions or comments so please feel free to respond. If you have any trouble with the links please contact me so that I can fix them. 


Thanks,
Oni

No comments:

Post a Comment